2,5-Furandicarboxylic acid (FDCA), is an organic chemical compound consisting of two carboxylic acid groups attached to a central furan ring.
Thanks to its superior performance criteria, such as improved barrier properties and higher mechanical strength, FDCA is our main building block for producing bio-based products. It can be applied to a wide variety of industrial plastics, including bottles, textiles, food packaging, carpets, electronic materials and automotive applications.
Given the huge potential market and the global need to offer a sustainable alternative to PET, we are focusing our efforts on PEF, which is an analog of polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Superior barrier properties:
- PEF’s oxygen barrier is 10 times better than PET
- PEF’s carbon dioxide barrier is 6 to 10 times better than PET
- PEF’s water barrier is twice as good as PET’s
More attractive thermal properties:
- The Tg of PEF is 86°C compared to the Tg of PET of 74°C
- The Tm of PEF is 235°C compared to the Tm of PET of 265°C