Danimer Scientific is among the recognized world leaders in the development of polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) and a specialist in the customization of biopolymer formulations that combine PHA, polylactic acid (PLA) and other biopolymers through a proprietary reactive extrusion process.
The agreement builds on a long-standing relationship that has included the development of bio-based compostable packaging for PepsiCo’s snack brands and will facilitate the expansion of Danimer Scientifics’ Nodax™ PHA plant.
In October 2016 PepsiCo announced its 2025 sustainability agenda, which includes the intent to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across its value chain and design 100 percent of its packaging to be recoverable or recyclable.
- This goal is part of PepsiCo’s decade-long Performance with Purpose initiative to deliver top-tier financial performance over the long term by integrating sustainability into its business strategy.
- This collaboration is also expected to help expedite PepsiCo’s transition to packaging that is completely biodegradable for their snack food portfolio by incorporating Nodax™ PHA bioplastic into certain of its next-generation snacks packaging.
PepsiCo Vice Chairman and Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Mehmood Khan, said:
“From the start PepsiCo has taken a holistic approach to our sustainability work. Our first objective is achieving long-term profitability and that requires sustainable solutions to grow our business while minimizing our environmental impact. Our plan to scale Danimer Scientifics’ technology is a step toward achieving both our greenhouse gas emission reduction and our recoverable and recyclable packaging goals.”
“Danimer Scientifics’ partnership with PepsiCo marks a significant milestone as we continue to expand our biopolymer technology to provide innovative bioplastic solutions to a wider range of applications and products. We’ve been developing a relationship with PepsiCo for the last seven years, and as one of the largest food and beverage companies in the world, their commitment to limiting the environmental impacts of their products can actuate real change in the way of sustainability.”
- Nodax™ PHA is a naturally occurring biopolymer produced by microbial bacteria as they ferment organically sourced oils.
- Produced using renewable biomass, Nodax™ PHA is both sustainably sourced and proven to be capable of replacing many short-term use petroleum-based plastics, for both performance and price.
- Traditional plastics are manufactured from chemicals obtained from fossil crude oil or natural gas sources.
Danimer Scientifics’ Nodax™ PHA received the first ever OK Marine Biodegradable certification from Vinçotte International, validating that the biopolymer safely biodegrades in salt water environments, leaving no toxins behind. Nodax™ PHA possesses seven Vinçotte certifications and statements of industrial and home compostability, biodegradability in anaerobic, soil, fresh water, and marine environments, and is bio-based. All of Danimer Scientifics’ biopolymers, including Nodax™ PHA, are FDA approved for food contact.
- What are Bioplastics and Biopolymers?
- Bioplastics Brands
- Bioplastics Awards
- What is the Difference Between Biodegradable, Compostable and OXO Degradable?
- The History and Most Important Innovations of Bioplastics
- What are Drop-In Bioplastics?
- History of Cellophane
- The History of Elephant Grass Bioplastics
- Bioplastics Companies
- Top Bioplastics Producers
- Polylactic acid or polylactide (PLA)
- What is Bio-BDO?
- McDonalds and the Polystyrene Connections
- The Future of Polystyrene
- Bioplastic Feedstock 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generations