10th International Conference on Bio-bases Marerials – Köln, Germany- May 10-11, 2017
Availability of sugars for bio-based chemicals will increase over time from current 180Mtons due to several favorable global trends (e.g. reduction of consumption per capita and availability of cellulosic sugars down the road)
5-HMF is the door to a long list of derivatives and chemicals
End of 2016, Avalon refocused its business model on 5-HMF and its demo platform to produce 5-HMF in aqueous solution (capacity 50 kg per hour / dry weight). Process is ready for scale- up. 5-HMF crystalline is also available (12t per h/dry weight)
5-HMF leads to FDCA via an oxidation process that can be biological, enzymatic, chemical, and OXY 2.0 ( a new process under development by AVALON and not disclosed). Then FDCA leads to PEF via polymerisation. But 5-HMF can be used as formaldehyde replacement in composite materials, a replacement very much in demand due to formaldehyde classification as toxic substance, carcinogenic to humans.
Combined with lignin, 5-HMF can lead to a 100% bio-based replacement of phenol-formaldehyde adhesive for wood panels and composites. Avalon is working on it. Avalon is also opened to partnerships to build a full value chain on both side of the part they master ( fructose to 5-HMF to FDCA)
- What are Bioplastics and Biopolymers?
- Bioplastics Brands
- Bioplastics Awards
- What is the Difference Between Biodegradable, Compostable and OXO Degradable?
- The History and Most Important Innovations of Bioplastics
- What are Drop-In Bioplastics?
- History of Cellophane
- The History of Elephant Grass Bioplastics
- Bioplastics Companies
- Top Bioplastics Producers
- Polylactic acid or polylactide (PLA)
- What is Bio-BDO?
- McDonalds and the Polystyrene Connections
- The Future of Polystyrene
- Bioplastic Feedstock 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generations
- Palm Oil and The Bioplastics Industry