Prisma’s BioLAN is produced using lignin, a natural by-product of the pulp and paper making process. Lignin is essentially the glue that surrounds the cell walls of living plants like trees and grasses. It contains a vast amount of the world’s carbon and has the potential, if modified correctly, to replace many of the petrochemical-based products used in everyday life.
The agreement includes plans to introduce Prisma’s BioLAN material to YFAI’s broad customer base for use in various automotive interior applications. Prisma’s technology is a sustainable alternative to acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic, which is widely used within in the automotive industry.
Through Prisma’s lignin technology, petrochemicals are partially replaced by natural polymers. BioLAN actually improves key properties of traditional ABS plastic, including cost, higher UV resistance, and higher tensile strength while reducing total greenhouse gas emissions.
“YFAI continually looks outside of the industry for materials that not only have applicability for use in automotive interiors, but also are beneficial from a sustainability perspective,” said Jeff Stout, executive director and innovation and new mobility, North America, for YFAI. “We see great promise in the BioLAN material.”
“Prisma and YFAI’s agreement is an important step forward in environmental stewardship and is one of the first of its kind regarding this application for lignin,” said Adam McCall, founder and CEO of Prisma Renewable Composites. “For decades, it has been the dream of many scientists to find a higher value purpose for lignin, due to its incredible potential.”
Yanfeng Automotive Interiors (YFAI) is the global leader in automotive interiors. Headquartered in Shanghai, the company has approximately 110 manufacturing plants and technical centres in 19 countries and more than 33,000 employees globally. Established in 2015, YFAI is a joint venture between Yanfeng and Adient, the global leader in automotive seating.
- All articles related to Lignin
- All articles on Automotive Applications
- Lignin Startup in the Spotlight
- LignoCOST: Pan-European Network on the Sustainable Valorisation of Lignin
REFS & SIMILARS
This article was published on www.insidecomposites.com
- YFAI pursues lignin as an alternative to ABS
- Companies collaborate to bring plant-based lignin technology to vehicle interiors
- Yanfeng Automotive Interiors, Prisma Renewable Composites To Bring Plant-Based Lignin Technology To Vehicle Interiors
- Prisma Renewable Composites and Yangfeng Automotive Interiors agree on use of plant-based lignin technology