Profitable & sustainable prospects
Lignin is a large underexploited side stream of the pulp & paper and lignocellulosic biorefinery industry. It is a very valuable raw material for industrial applications as it contains for example aromatic molecules, polymer properties, UV stabilisation and antimicrobial activities.
Creation of added value applications for lignin will lead to extra revenues for the industries to make them more economical viable and sustainable.
Networking events, workshops & training schools
Up until October 2022 the LignoCOST network will be organising networking events, workshops and training schools. Young scientists have the opportunity to hold short term scientific missions between the network partners and they can apply for conference grants.
The next working group meeting will be organised in November 2019 in Portugal.
Establishment of a Pan-European Network on the Sustainable Valorisation of Lignin
LignoCOST, which is an acronym for ‘Establishment of a Pan-European Network on the Sustainable Valorisation of Lignin’, is organised in 5 different working groups that have their own milestones and deliverables. Working group 3 is led by Dr. Karolien Vanbroekhoven (VITO/Biorizon). The working groups:
- Creation of lignin data factsheets, state-of-the-art lignin analytical techniques, overview of existing lignin research infrastructure and establishment of an open source information portal called Wiki lignin.
- Assessment of state-of-the-art lignin conversion technologies including the technology readiness level (TRL)
- Identification of most promising lignin value chains with the focus on sustainable industrial applications.
- Identification of knowledge gaps on technical issues but also on non-technical aspects.
- Selected value chains will be supported by techno-economic evaluation and LCA.
LignoCOST is supported by the EU Framework Programme Horizon 2020
Participation & information
If you would like to participate, please visit the website of LignoCOST: http://www.lignocost.eu for more information or contact the coordinators of this network: Dr. Richard Gosselink (chair) or Dr. Ted Slaghek (Grant holder manager) from Wageningen Food & Biobased Research.
- Top Bioplastics Producers
- Lignin lightens the load in thermoset composites
- Lignin as 3D Printing Feedstock?
- Lignin Articles