The Star Group of Companies is taking its first step in the plastic conversation, leading with the theme, ‘let’s reduce plastic together’ for the upcoming CPMA tradeshow in Montreal, Canada. Recognizing there is an industry problem through the supply chain, The Star Group is examining the current state of plastics, plastic reduction and partnering with pure science to innovate for the future.
Consumer education is a monumental task. We as producers need to focus on science-based solutions to come up with great alternatives to package fresh produce.
Harmonizing our plastic into a single stream and bio-based solutions where plastic is made out of feedstock is clearly the future.
Video News Sustainable Plastics
‘We are shifting our focus internally and looking at innovation through a different lens,’ commented David Karwacki, CEO of The Star Group.
‘By engaging customers, suppliers and pure science we can come up with eloquent solutions that consumers will love. We all know that people want to make a difference in reducing plastic. As an industry if we join together we can make changes quickly.’
The Star Group successes to date include:
- Continued implementation of topseal on multiple products resulting in 30% reduction in plastic per container.
- Launching Inspired Greens whole head lettuce in recyclable sleeves had transformed 2 million potential pounds of PETE plastic to under 100,000 pounds of recyclable sleeves.
- Reduction in the gage of plastic in packaging resulting in up to 11% reduction per punnet.
- Investments in pallet wrapping machines that utilize recyclable wrap in all facilities that consistently and efficiently wrap pallets and result in a 60% reduction of plastic wrap
- Cardboard and plastic in all facilities is bailed and recycled
- All organic waste is composted
- Offices recycle paper, plastic, refundable containers and have eliminated plastic water bottles
The Star Group is looking for new and better ways to innovate in all products. This includes finding next generation packaging options that will delight consumers and truly make a difference.
About Star Group
At the Star Group, we strive to be the most innovative team in produce with an unwavering commitment to value and taste.
The Star Group is an organization comprised of boutique companies that specialize in different sectors of the fresh produce industry: Star Produce, CFP, Sliced FC, BC Hot House, & Whole Leaf.
Since 1989, we have been working from seed to store, supplying the highest quality fruits & vegetables & searching the globe for great taste.
With a worldwide network of direct growers, state of the art packing facilities and a dedicated logistics team, we have gained an industry leading reputation for quality, selection and service.
- What are Bioplastics and Biopolymers?
- Bioplastics Brands
- Bioplastics Awards
- What is the Difference Between Biodegradable, Compostable and OXO Degradable?
- The History and Most Important Innovations of Bioplastics
- What are Drop-In Bioplastics?
- History of Cellophane
- The History of Elephant Grass Bioplastics
- Bioplastics Companies
- Top Bioplastics Producers
- Polylactic acid or polylactide (PLA)
- What is Bio-BDO?
- McDonalds and the Polystyrene Connections
- The Future of Polystyrene
- Bioplastic Feedstock 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generations
- Palm Oil and The Bioplastics Industry
This article was published on http://www.canadianpackaging.com