The company has secured a globally patented technology that may well become the next big thing in bioplastics. It took Floreon nine years of product development and millions of private investment to finally safeguard their global patent and claim one of the most promising bioplastics currently available on the market. Floreon is now gaining sustainable commercial traction and may become the next disruptor in the bioplastics industry. Let’s have a look at the story behind Floreon.
The Story behind Floreon
Floreon was established by its charismatic founder Shaun Chatterton. Shaun is a successful business man who made his fortune in wholesale distribution. Shaun started his wholesale distribution company from scratch and became the largest independent distributor supplying cleaning, hygiene and paper disposable products in the UK. In 2015, Shaun sold his company having achieved a cumulative turnover of £400 million during his time in charge.
Shaun got the inspiration to set up Floreon when he realised the amounts of plastics generated by the distribution sector. His idea of creating the formula one of bioplastics came from a desire for a cleaner and more sustainable form of plastic. He wanted to make his own contribution in making our planet a better place to live in.
Determined to go for the very best, Shaun sponsored two Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP’s) with the University of Sheffield and secured what would later become one of the best performing bioplastics available on the market today.
A few months later, Floreon was awarded the Innovate UK “Best Partnership” award and in addition to this, the company recently won a best bioplastic material award in London.
In the meantime, Floreon has been involved with and approached by big companies from several industries such as FMCG, food, retail, cosmetics, producers, fashion, office material, fast food chains for several test trials, but this is strictly confidential at this point-in-time. So let’s look at this award winning bioplastics materials.
What makes Floreon unique?
- Its founder. Shaun has a great level of business and retail expertise and brings a down-to-earth and pragmatic approach to Floreon.
- Its material. Floreon has a unique patented bioplastic formulation that is sustainable, compostable and recyclable.
- It’s go-to-market strategy. Floreon has a B-to-B and B-to-C approach: they can provide solutions to brand owners as well as to processors.
- Floreon was able to secure global patents for their PLA (Polylactic acid), PBS (Polybutylene succinate) and PCL (Polycaprolactone) compounds.
Floreon Compound vs PLA
- Floreon PLA can be processed at lower temperatures than regular PLA.
- University of Bradford testing has shown that Floreon can be processed with much less energy than regular PLA.
- Floreon’s compounds has the same compostability as PLA.
- Floreon have achieved heat resistance to 150 ⁰C, far higher than regular PLA.
- Testing has shown Floreon PLA is four times tougher than regular PLA.
All components of Floreon’s formulation are certified as compostable according to EN13432 and international equivalents. This means that no end of life options are compromised.
Floreon is a company to look for and will definitely become a big bioplastics player in the next five years.
- Floreon Wins Best Bioplastics Material Award
- The Future of Plastic Cutlery: Bioplastics vs Plastic
- Floreon Website