This is part of Reebok’s sustainability initiative called “Cotton + Corn” launched last year. This type of initiative is called “eco footwear”.
75 % of the shoe is made with bio-based content. The sole is made from corn, the insole from castor bean oil and the upper shoe is 100 % cotton. The bioplastics sole is an alternative to petroleum-based rubber and foam soles that are usually used in footwear.
The sole is made from a 100% biobased material trademarked Susterra propanediol and produced by DuPont Tate & Lyle’s. The material is entirely petroleum-free and non-toxic.
The advantages of Susterra propanediol:
- Non-toxic and food safe
- 100% sustainably and renewably sourced
- USDA 100% certified bio-based product
20 billion pairs of shoes are made every year, and 300 million end up in landfills. Reebok is fully owned by German sport manufacturer Adidas
- This is the future of shoes …biobased soles.
- Ladies and Gentleman of the bioplastics industry, it’s time to buy yourself a nice pair of sneakers.
- Congratulation to the Germans. What would the bioplastics industry be without ze Germans !!! Dankeschön