The European Parliament’s committee voted on July 10th and went further than the European Commission
- A ban on microplastics in cosmetics, personal care, detergents and cleaning products by 2020.
- A complete ban on oxo-degradable plastics – a source of microplastic pollution – by 2020.
- A recognition that biodegradable and compostable plastics do not prevent plastic waste in our oceans and should not be an excuse to keep using single-use plastics.
- Any taxation of plastics should go towards preventing plastic waste generation.
- The reduction of hazardous substances in plastics, to ensure that what is recycled is free from dangerous chemicals.
The strategy taken by the bioplastics (Biodegradable) plastics producers did not pay off. A strategic mistake has been made by the biodegradable sector to defend their interest at European level.