10th International Conference on Bio-bases Marerials – Köln, Germany- May 10-11, 2017
This results into a slowdown in drop-in bio-based commodity chemicals like adipic acid, acrylic acid, glycols, epichlorohydrin, butanols and 1.4 butanediols.
The bio based PET landscape is even more in the doldrums for bio-monoethylene glycol (MEG) suppliers stalling or stopping their plant projects.
Novel building blocks like FDCA, FDME/5-HMF, levulinic acid, farnesene, 1.3 propanediol, itaconic acid, malonic acid and glucaric acid show better perspectives as they are actually offering better properties and performances in target applications than teir oil based couterparts.
Bio-succinic acid also navigates tough economics, mainly because of low prices and overcapacity of maleic acid produced in China. Novamont started its bio-BDO operation in Sardinia Italy, mainly for internal use to produce bioplastics, as part of its Mater-bi range. BioAmber continues plan for succinic acid based BDO project. No new project announced as economic viability far from being proven.
Bio PU/polyols: the plant oil polyols market continues to develop towards maturity which is good news. Bio-isocyanates R&D and derived projects remain limited.
Bio-polyamides continue their progress with DSM
By and large, companies are refocusing on high profits / low volume specialty areas, away from high volumes bio-based commodities that suffer from an adverse sugar versus petroleum price gap. This shapes a perspective that turns its back to what was forecasted in the last 5 years but sounds to me to stand much stronger on its feet as a long term strategy for profitable growth.
- What are Bioplastics and Biopolymers?
- Bioplastics Brands
- Bioplastics Awards
- What is the Difference Between Biodegradable, Compostable and OXO Degradable?
- The History and Most Important Innovations of Bioplastics
- What are Drop-In Bioplastics?
- History of Cellophane
- The History of Elephant Grass Bioplastics
- Bioplastics Companies
- Top Bioplastics Producers
- Polylactic acid or polylactide (PLA)
- What is Bio-BDO?
- McDonalds and the Polystyrene Connections
- The Future of Polystyrene
- Bioplastic Feedstock 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generations
- Palm Oil and The Bioplastics Industry