Pope Douglas Solid Waste Management built a site for people to drop off compostable food scraps and other biodegradable waste at the southeast corner of the church parking lot.
Faith Lutheran Church is located at 5500 County Highway 14 NE, just west of the Miltona Community Center.
Compostables need to be brought in biodegradable (plastic-like) bags, which can be purchased at many grocery stores, or else in paper bags. Plastic bags are not allowed.
Reverend John Wriggle said Faith Lutheran was grateful for PDSWM bringing the organics recycling site to Miltona.
Below is information from Pope Douglas Solid Waste Management’s website:
Acceptable items for composting
- All food scraps, including fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, bones, eggs, dairy, peels, pits.
- Coffee grounds, filters, teabags, wood stir sticks.
- Paper towels, napkins and tissues.
- Paper towel and toilet paper rolls.
- Paper egg cartons and paper bags.
- Hair and fur.
- Popsicle sticks, toothpicks, and chopsticks.
- Houseplant trimmings and flowers.
- Certified compostable bags.
Certified compostable products. Items with the BPI or Cedar Grove certified compostable logo on the product or packaging.
- Grass, leaves or yard waste of any kind.
- Plastic bags, plastic utensils, metal or plastic condiment cups.
- Plastic, metal, or glass of any kind.
- Dead animals, pet waste, litter or bedding.
- Fast food wrappers and frozen food boxes.
- Microwave popcorn bags.
- Paper plates, bowls, and cups without BPI or Cedar Grove certification.
- Single-serve coffee pods (e.g. K-Cups).
- Wood, liquids, diapers, trash or anything you are unsure can be composted.
Organics (food scraps and soiled papers) make up approximately 38% of what is still in the garbage – even after strong single sort recycling programs.
Organics recycling is an important part of effective waste management programs. Items are returned back to nature through commercial composting – reducing resource use and greenhouse gas emissions.
Organics Recycling also reduces demand and wear and tear on local garbage processing facilities – such as Pope/Douglas’ Material Recycling and Waste to Energy Facilities.
Miltona church adds organic recycling site
Bioplastic Economics, Scottish Beaches, Thailand Waste, Unilever, Shell CEO
PLA (DIS) ADVANTAGES