Tui Cruses Wasteless initiatives aims at reducing the use of disposable plastic products by end of 2020 on six of their ships of the Mein Schiff fleet.
The disposable plastics will be replaced by sustainable alternatives made from renewable and natural resources. Here’s a summary of their actions:
- Laundry bag will be made of bio-based plastic. This will lead to a reduction of 270.000 plastic laundry bags.
- Crews will be given coffee-to-go cups with bio-based interior coatings and lids instead of petroleum-based.
- Plastic pitchers will be replaced by glass water pitchers.
- Refillable shower gel and shampoo dispensers will be used in the showers. This will lead to 380.00 less plastic shower gel packaging.
- Slippers will no more be packed in plastic but will be put in the pockets of the bathrobes. This will lead to a reduction of 250.000 packages.
- Five million small plastic food skewers used per year will be replaced with wooden alternatives,
- 1.5 million plastic cocktail stirrers will be replaced with wooden stirrers.
Recycling Plastics, UK Government Will Not Support Compostable Plastic, Plastic Pacts Mislead Consumers