The Roquette group family enterprise is one of the top-ranked processors of starch (N° 2 in Europe and N° 5 in the world), as well as being the world leader in polyols, N° 2 in maltodextrins worldwide, and the leading European producer of pyrogen free raw materials and cationic starches. In 2012 it achieved a turnover of 3.1 billion euros.
Roquette basically converts four vegetables into raw materials essential to industry. As a result, thanks to the starch extracted from maize, wheat, potatoes or peas, the firm produces more than 700 by-products.
Specifically, the range consists of:
- Starch products
- Sugars and dietary fibres
- Derivatives of fermentation and fine chemistry products
- Proteins and their derivatives
- Fibres, oils and soluble products
Roquette business: biorefining / starch production
Roquette has adopted the concept of integrated biorefining. It transforms renewable resources corn, wheat, potatoes and peas – into an extensive line of high quality ingredients for a wide range of food and non-food industries throughout the world.
The superior production techniques in place aim at attaining the highest standards in processing, safety and environmental protection, using renewable energy whenever possible. They also exemplify the company’s commitment to quality and innovation in both products and processes.
The Roquette environment is changing:
- Revolution in the green chemistry field, with the challenge of converting raw vegetable materials in order to replace the petrochemical industry.
- Increased sensitivity of the populations to healthy nutrition.
- Scarcity and limited availability of agricultural and energy resources with sustainable development becoming a greater necessity .
- Our field of activity itself is an advantage with the immense potential of our raw materials. Roquette’s decisional autonomy and its economic means also constitute assets for prolonging the integration logic, the effects of scale and the international set-up.
Our mission is to serve Mankind by converting raw vegetable materials, following a sustainable development logic, into food products and health, consumer and capital goods. In this context, Roquette has decided to implement an sustainable development policy. This determination to be identified as a major sustainable development player reflects its desire to conduct its business by taking into account its interaction with the world around it.
This voluntary undertaking is also in line with the basic values anchored in the Roquette culture, both at the level of the economic model, human relations or the preserving of the environment as well as at the level of its strategy resolutely committed to the long term. It involves the active collaboration and involvement of each Management Team and each Entity in the group. Management has identified three specific areas of work: Energy, Social Aspects and Sustainable Innovation. Within this context, here are a few examples:
- The production of biogas and its use in supplying steam to the production sites. This is the case with the effluent treatment unit at Vecquemont (see good practices sheet);
- The geothermal energy plant at Beinheim: a project which, if implemented, will provide one quarter of the thermal energy needs of the factory and thus avoid the emission of thousands of tones of CO2;
- The promotion of Diversity: Roquette is taking part in the equal opportunities forum (a forum that enables young foreign graduates to have interviews on the spot for training periods and even jobs);
- Roquette is again taking part this year in the World Forum whose theme is “responsible finance”;
- The creation of diversification products through the research programs (BioHub®, NUTRAHUB®,…) and in particular by using processes that are as “clean” as possible and the most economical in energy terms.
Quite obviously this policy is based on actions already in place at various Managements such as the Environment and HR Managements. Roquette has resolved to make Sustainable Development an integral part of its corporate model and advertise this fact!