LanzaTech was founded in early 2005 with a vision to be a dominant technology provider in the industrial bio-commodities arena. Our goal was simple: to develop and commercialize proprietary technologies for the production of low-carbon fuels that do not compromise food or land resources.
Throughout 2005 and 2006, the company raised funding through New Zealand-based Angel investors and secured grants. These funds provided the resources to establish LanzaTech as a technology leader in this field. Soon thereafter, the company attracted Series A investment from an investor consortium led by Khosla Ventures; the Series B financing was led by Qiming Ventures.
LanzaTech closed its Series C investment in 2012 led by the Malaysian Life Sciences Capital Fund. New investors included PETRONAS Technology Ventures Sdn Bhd, the venture arm of PETRONAS, the national oil company of Malaysia, and Dialog Group, a leading Malaysian integrated specialist technical services provider to the oil, gas and petrochemical industry. Today, LanzaTech is led by a multinational Board of Directors and Management Team with offices in the United States, New Zealand, China and India.
Our rapidly growing team of biologists, process design engineers, expanding patent portfolio and state-of-the-art lab facility are resulting in a list of capabilities unmatched in the industry.
- Gas Fermentation: our lab was specifically designed to allow quick and efficient investigation and research of every aspect of a commercial gas fermentation process.
- Synthetic Biology: we are now capable of defining and directing fuel and chemical production at the DNA-level. Our microbe has a WHO Category 1 safety rating (the same as Baker’s yeast).
- Microbiology: LanzaTech has one of the world’s largest collections of industrial fuel and chemical production microbes. To date, we have two new proprietary strains of gas fermentation microbe.
- Analytical Chemistry: we have in-house access to full, on-line, high-throughput gas and liquid analysis facilities.
- Fermentation: our fermentation suite comprises more than 20 bench-top gas fermentation reactors and a test-bay allowing the development and demonstration of several prototype reactor designs in parallel and at scale.
- LanzaTech Articles
- BASF Invests in Lanzatech
- LanzaTech & Evonik Alliance
- Bioplastic Materials
- Bioplastics Events
- Top Bioplastics Companies