Sustainable innovation: the benefits of partly bio-based Makrofol® EC
As part of our long-term commitment to the circular economy, we’re bringing sustainability and innovation together with the launch of our first partly bio-based polycarbonate film: Makrofol® EC.
More than 50% of this material’s carbon content is sourced from plant-based biomass.
When compared to standard films made from petrochemicals, a portion of the oil-based primary products used have been replaced with plant-based raw materials.
Reducing the use of raw materials based on fossil resources slashes the film’s carbon footprint by approximately 20%.
With Makrofol® EC polycarbonate film, our customers can benefit from a more sustainable alternative to standard polycarbonate films that exhibits comparable or even better properties, including improved chemical and weather resistance.
This partly bio-based film also offers excellent mechanical properties and impact strength, high abrasion resistance and surface hardness, and good optical properties.
Makrofol® EC polycarbonate films can be processed by a variety of technologies, including printing, thermoforming, high-pressure forming (HPF), coating (hardcoat, adhesive), cutting and lamination.
Polycarbonate film in action
Similar to conventional polycarbonate films, Makrofol® EC polycarbonate film can be used a variety of applications spanning several industries, including:
- Automotive: Speedometers, decorative trim parts and instrument clusters
- Electrical, electronics & appliances: Electrical insulation, electronic housing and decorative control panels
- Graphics: Labels, tags, overlays and signage
- Packaging: Thermoformed packaging for sensitive goods
More and more customers are supporting sustainable products. This is why research on bio-based products is an important priority for us.
Wieland Hovestadt Head of Research and Development in the Specialty Films division, Covestro
- High strength Features excellent mechanical properties and impact strength
- Excellent weather and chemical resistance Offers improved resistance to UV rays and chemicals
- High durability Provides high abrasion resistance and surface hardness
Covestro harnesses sustainability and innovation for first partly bio-based film