The Moderator and Presenter of the Event is BBC presenter Stephen Sackur
Plenary session: The socio-economic and environmental benefits of the EU bio-based sector
- Pavel Misiga; Head of Circular Economy & Biobased systems Unit DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
- Dirk Pilat, Deputy Director, Directorate for Science, Technology and Innovation OECD
- Christine Lang, Chair Bioeconomy Council
- Elsi Katainen, MEP, Vice Chair of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural and Development
Plenary session: Bio-based Europe: vision and strategic objectives
- Jaana Husu-Kallio, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Finland
Jaana Husu-Kallio gave a great presentation. She was able to convince me in 45 seconds that Finland is a Bioeconomy champion.
- Daniel Badman , Head of Public Affairs and Sustainability Communications, Stora Enso
- Dirk Carrez, Executive Director , Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC)
Dirk Carrez gave an excellent presentation. He was able to share a simple but important message: The US bioeconomy is based on Corn. The Brazilian bioeconomy is based on sugar cane. The European bioeconomy is based on a wider area of biomass; its based on biodiversity.
Plenary session – Stable, supportive and coherent policies: the road to the bio-based products uptake
- Giovanni Teodorani Fabbri , General Manager, FaterSMART
We can grow faster outside Europe. Europe is sometimes too complicated. Outside Europe we can accelerate.
Recycling Plastics, UK Government Will Not Support Compostable Plastic, Plastic Pacts Mislead Consumers
- Raul Kirjanen, CEO, AS Graanul Invest / OÜ Graanul Biotech
Great speech from Raul Kirjanen. We need pan-European rules on biomass sustainability. Limit state aid, rather tax polluters instead of subsidising new technologies.
Some NGOs discredit bioeconomic initiatives because they’re linked to other (Fossil) industries. A new bio-economic inititaive will always step on someone toes.
- Maria Da Graça Carvalho, Member of the European Parliament (MEP), European Parliament