Rwanda adopted a similar policy more than a decade ago. The Burundi presidential decree was published in August and sets a transitional period of 18 months to empty the stocks and change products.
The presidential decree has three objectives:
- control the use of plastic bags and other plastic packaging;
- promote the use of materials that do not harm the environment; and
- prevent any form of pollution caused by plastic.
There will be an exception for some plastic parts:
Impact Corona on Bioplastics
- health care and pharmaceutical products
- industrial packaging
- construction components
- Sewage pipes
- laboratory equipment
- teaching materials
Shopkeepers fear that there may not be enough bio-degradable packaging material.
Jean Marie Niyokindi, the minister of commerce, industry and tourism warned all merchants who raise the prices with fines and the confiscation of their plastic bags stocks.
- Japan Government Promotes Bioplastics
- France Issues its Plastic Policy
- Flanders Government Decides on Plastic Packaging
- Canada Aims at Zero Plastic Waste